Many business owners often focus on how large of a following they have on social media, but having a small, but dedicated, community is better than a larger one. Here’s why:
Not all followers are created equal. You can have a relatively large audience, but if they are not interested in what you have to offer and do not align with your company’s mission and values then that’s not necessarily for the best.
At the heart of every successful organization are its advocates. And a great community comes from relationships and trust. Having a seemingly smaller following might be to your advantage.
Here are some things your business can benefit from:
Get to know your community! Take this opportunity to really delve into what content speaks to them, what they like to see, and what they want more of. On a smaller scale, it’s even easier to be authentic and passionate with your content, while displaying to your audience your expertise. Find inspiration from your community
Show your neighborhood. This doesn’t need to be taken literally, but communities love to know that you’re not just an entity. What’s on your street? Are there other businesses opening? Do you have any local partnerships? Bringing light to these types of things can also bring you more of a following by association!
Don’t make it all about the sale. Instead of promoting your product or service, utilize the little time you have on social media to gain a knowledge of your customers needs. Doing this will allow you to create a loyal customer base who learns to trust your brand. As a best practice, use the 80/20 rule. Your social content, across all your channels, should be no more than 20% promotional, while the other 80% should be about your engaging with your customers and sharing relevant content that they’ll find valuable.
We’re talking quality over quantity. When quantity increases, quality tends to drop–whether we mean it to or not. Of course as entrepreneurs we are always looking to grow, but it in the meantime, observe your current audience and deliver them value, and you’ll be rewarded for it.